After I got my pug Budhaa for the first time the next challenge after taking care of her health was getting a dog bowl that suits her feeding.
Well, at first, I got several bowls which she totally strained feeding on before I landed on some of the best bowls for pugs which I have shared in this article.
Pugs are brachycephalic breeds, eating for them is kind of absurd. You can picture trying to feed your flat-faced furry friend with the best dog food on a deep bowl. You’ll simply starve the pug or end up cluttering the feeding spot with food.
To avoid all these, you need to get the best bowls for pugs. But first, let’s see what features you should look for.
Read Also: Best treats for pugs
Types of Pug Bowls to Buy
- Tilted Food Bowls- These bowls are the pugs’ favorite types of bowls. They have a tilted statue design, angled perfectly for your pug’s reach. Such bowls allow flat-faced pooches to access their meal with ease. Some of the tilted bowls are adjustable to what your little furry friend feels comfortable feeding on.
- Shallow Bowls- It’s absurd feeding your flat-faced dog with a short neck on a deep dowl. The obvious is the food will be out of reach. I mean, there’s too much space between the bowl bottom and the pug’s mouth. So, always get a shallow bowl to ease the reach of food.
- Slow-Feeding Food Bowls- Pugs naturally love to eat especially when given an opportunity. I mean the aggressive ones would snatch a treat out of your hand before you release it. Such pugs are prone to bloating, vomiting, or even regurgitation. To manage this, some bowls are designed to slow your pug eating rate.
Pug Bowls to Avoid
- Too Large Bowls- Getting the properly sized bowl is important depending on your pug’s age. A too-large bowl will encourage your puppy to eat too fast which can result in choking. The right-sized puppy bowl will slow down their eating rate. The same concept applies to your adult pug. In fact, a too-large bowl will tempt you to give your dog more food and that can result in obesity.
- Raised Dog Bowls- One misconception that most dog owners think is their pooches should feed on an elevated bowl. Well, that’s not right. In fact, elevated dog bowls tend to cause gas and add pressure on the diaphragm (bloat) hance breathing difficulties.
- Some Plastic Food Bowls- Although plastic dog bowls are the cheapest and pugs can’t destroy them, they pose a big risk to your dog. Some plastics are made with a chemical called Bisphenol A (BPA). This chemical can cause sickness, especially to puppies.
Best Bowls for Pugs 2022
The Tilt-A-Bowl stainless steel has a slanted look which is perfect for smaller pooches like pugs. Pugs will access the bottom part hence a remedy for no-mess feeding.
It features a rubber ring attached at the bottom to stop your pug from skidding the bowl around.
This is my all-time favorite dog bowl because it’s stainless steel which guarantees you durability and is easy to clean as well.
My pug Budhaa really gets aggressive when I’m feeding her and I love how the rubber ring holds the bowl in place.
Best Slow-Feeder Bowl
The DuraPet Slow Feeder Bowl is designed for aggressive eater pugs. It will slow down your dog’s eating rate.
This dog bowl features a domed placed at the center so that your dog can’t pick large chunks of food, essentially a mouthful at each bite.
The fact that this bowl will help your pug eat and drink slowly really helps in digestion and nutrients absorption.
It’s super durable and easy to clean, ideal for the dog’s hygiene as opposed to the plastic bowls.
- It’s durable and long-lasting
- Features rubber ring at the bottom that holds the bowl in place
- Available in various sizes that suit all dog breeds
- Safe for the dishwasher
- Domed center stops the pug from scooping large chunks of food.
OutWard Hounds Fun Feeder is a mentally stimulating puzzle bowl that will not only regulate your dog’s eating speed but also stimulate the disinterested eaters.
It’s designed with a maze-like pattern that includes small spaces that fit pieces of kibble. Your pug will be engaged and have fun when trying to hack food in the pattern.
The Fun Feeder bowl comes in two sizes, Mini size-holds 2 cups of food, and Regular size-holds 4 cups.
- Has non-slip base to hold the bowl in place
- Reduce eating speed and also stimulate the disinterested slow eater
- Helps to stop regurgitation, bloating, and GI distress
- Free of BPA and other harmful chemicals
- Made with good quality material hence durable
- You get to pick from 5 designs and colors
The JWPC is sorely crafted for flat-faced breeds. It’s tilted and perfectly angled to allow your flat-faced pooch to lick to the very last morsel.
This dog bowl features a non-slip rubber material holding the bowl in place. The rubber base is eco-friendly and can be separated from the top bowl for easy maintenance and cleaning.
Well, JWPC bowl is plastic made so it won’t make any noise that will freak out the pug when feeding with his/her collar on and the tag hitting the bowl.
Also, you can adjust the bowl to your pug’s preference. Essentially, this is a perfect bowl for your flat-faced furry friend.
- Super durable
- Tilted perfectly for easy reach
- It’s affordable
- Features a bottom rubber material that is non-slip and eco-friendly
- Perfect size for daily feeding
- Bowl is adjustable to where your dog feels comfortable
The Kulmeo double Dog bowl is designed for the messier eater pooches. If you have issues with your dog spilling food and water then this bowl will come in handy.
It features two perfect-sized stainless-steel bowls that are fitted in a large BHA-free silicon tray. The tray holds any food or water spilling over from the two bowls.
The double dog dowl is easy to clean and is dishwasher safe. It is equipped with rubber at the bottom that resists skidding.
This bowl just solved all your stress if your dog is an aggressive eater.
- 2-in-1 bowl
- Rubber parts bottom hence no skidding
- BHA-silicon and stainless steel
- Hold both water and food in the same town
Talk of an automated bowl that will feed your pug when you are not around, well, that’s Petkit Smart Digital dog bowl. It will catch your attention at first sight with its wooden base and shiny metal bowl.
The bowl has an ergonomic design that your flat face furry friend will easily access.
The bowl features PETKIT app that will help you monitor your pug’s eating habits and keep track of his/her calories. With the built-in digital scale, it allows you to convert grams to pounds for accurate measure.
Also, this dog bowl comes with an anti-microbial outer shell that stops the growth of harmful germs and bacteria.
- Integrated with PETKIT app to help you keep track of your dog
- Ergonomic design to allow easy access
- Has a built-in digital scale that converts from grams to pounds
- Features anti-microbial outer shell that protects against dangerous bacteria
Yet another tilted dog bowl designed for your pug is the YMAXGO Ceramics Single Food Feeding bowl.
It’s a premium ceramic crafted bowl that won’t rust and guarantees durability.
This is safe for both your dishwasher and microwave use. It comes with a mat that holds the bowl in place.
This product offers you a 1-year guarantee.
- High-quality product
- Durable ceramic material
- Safe to use in your Microwave and dishwasher
- Dogs cannot chew the bowl
Read Also: Best wet dog food for pugs
Choosing the right bowl for your dog includes several features that include the right material for the bowl. I find stainless steel bowls to be scratch-resistant and easy to clean.
I hope you’ve found a dog bowl in this list that meets your dog’s preference and will enjoy chowing down.
Remember to get a bowl that is floor level and always keep your pug properly hydrated.