When summer is fast approaching, or you simply love swimming, boating, kayaking, you name it, your pug will always cling to you everywhere. Naturally, pugs are not the best swimmer for some reasons discussed here that’s why getting the best life jacket for pugs is important.
The best life jacket for pugs should have good buoyancy, visibility, fit properly and be comfortable so that the dog can feel safe and have fun while swimming.
In this article, I have researched and listed the best life jacket for pugs to help you keep your pooch safe and enjoy every activity you love to do while around water masses.
But if you are in a hurry I will always recommend my all-time favorite EzyDog Premium Dog Flotation Vest. It comes in red or yellow color.
Features to Look for in a Good life Jacket for Pugs
It’s important to note that not all dog life jackets can be used by your pug. With the numerous life jackets currently in the market, it can be confusing to pick the right one.
Here are some guides and key features to check when deciding on the right life jacket for your pug.
The best vest jacket for pugs should be made with high-quality materials that won’t wear out easily. Consider the fact that some pooch likes to chew, the jacket should be able to resist the stress.
I won’t recommend going for the cheaper vest simply because we are talking about your pug’s safety here.
A key feature to always check when getting the proper dog vest is its size. Getting the right measurement for your pug can be challenging especially if you are new to dogs.
Most of the safe jacket hints at measuring the length of your pug’s neck and the breadth. This is quite challenging but I prefer measuring the widest part of my dog’s rib cage, that way I always get the right girth measurement.
Check out this video on how to get the proper measurements for your dog.
A reflecting life jacket is important when it comes to locating and spotting your pug in dark spots and over long distances.
Moreover, I will always advocate going for vests with brighter colors to enhance visibility. This way you can easily keep an eye on them easily when playing especially around the beach.
Depending on the manufacturer’s style, the vest will have handles placed in different spots. The idea is to ensure you get a proper grip that you can easily lift your pooch out of the water.
Due to the pug’s body structure, I always go for a vest with a handle placed close to the back legs and near the shoulders.
Safe Straps & Buckles
Safety is key as far as dog vest jackets are concerned. That been said you ought to go for a life vest that is easy to take off in an event of an emergency.
Pugs differ in sizes and shapes from other types of dogs. They have a shorter neck and their legs are small so you ought to get a life vest with buoyancy towards the neck section.
That way, your pug will stay floating all the time and it’s super safe too.
Leash Clipping Loop
A good life jacket should be equipped with a D-Ring that will help you clip a leash for better control of the pug when in water.
Read Also: Best Harness For Pugs
Best life jacket for Pugs in 2022
Designed with high-quality material, the EzyDog Floatation Device life jacket offers the buoyancy that your pug needs when on water. It features 50% more floatation materials than other vests.
This life jacket is crafted to fit perfectly dogs with a shorter length and deeper chest.
The jacket is equipped with multiple straps to adjust so that it can properly fit your pug and easy release.
Also, it comes with reflective strips that enhance the dog’s visibility, especially in poor lite areas.
- Comes in two bright colors-red & yellow
- Available in different sizes to give room for your dogs’ size ( large, medium, small, and extra-small)
- Features adjustable straps to properly fit the pug
- Comes in an attractive camo pattern for those who love hunting with dogs in the woods.
Another superb dog life jacket is the RuffWear vest designed for both pups and adult pugs. It’s designed to handle all your water activities from boating, surfing, kayaking, or rafting.
As far as safety is concerned, RuffWear jacket is well known and listed among the best option. Has adjustable neck closure and clip buckles to allow you to fit the dog firmly.
It features closed-cell foam panels that are placed strategically to support the pug in an upright position when swimming. Attached at the back of the vest is a strong handle to help you lift the pug out of water.
- Features a good buoyant design with closed-cell foam panels
- Fitted with reflective trims and bright fancy colors
- It’s low weight hence great for pug’s size
- Designed with compatible durable webbing that maintains stability in wet areas
- Features a strong handle to lift the dog out of water
This dog life jacket features a new sports-style that give your pug that dope look without interfering with their movement.
Vivaglory New Sport test is made with quality materials ripstop 600D oxford cloth that is certified by CA65 test hence super safe for your dog.
The vest has extra padding and offers up to 50% more floatation to ensure the pug remains afloat.
Its equipped with fastening clips around the belly and neck areas to help you firmly secure the dog.
To enhance visibility in the low light areas and in/out of the water, this dog vest comes in bright colors and has reflective trims attached to it.
- Has a sports-style design that offers your dog a complete makeover and doesn’t interfere with the pooch’s natural movement
- Equipped with 50% more floatation products to enhance buoyancy
- Available in 10 different bright colors to increase visibility in low light areas
- Comes in different sizes hence great for both puppies and adult pugs
Another high-grade fabric dog vest on our list is the iChoue Life jacket made with quality Oxford nylon cloth which is super durable. The inner float padding is designed to offer good buoyancy in the water and fast drainage.
It’s lightweight thus great for small dogs like pugs and easy to put on and off.
Features a larger bottom area that covers the dog’s belly with buoyant padding, which is great for dogs that are not good at swimming.
Available in 4 sizes which come with adjustable belts and velcro straps to perfectly fit the dog.
- Made with tough and resistant material which is durable
- Equipped with a strong handle to pull the dog out of water
- Available in 4 different sizes
- Has lockable buckles to secure the pug in place
- Comes with D-ring hooks to attach a leash for more exploration
Yet another budget-friendly dog life jacket in our bucket list that’s all about safety first. The Queenmore Dog life vest is made with good quality polyester fabric and high-density pearl cotton foam.
Moreover, the polyester material features anti-abrasive properties strong enough to withstand all your pug’s activities, especially in water.
The vest is comfortable around the chest and neck girths and is fitted with adjustable buckles so that you can properly adjust the vest on your dog.
It’s available in 6 adjustable sizes: XS to XXL. Basically, the vest will fit all breeds.
Also, it has a strong low-profile handle placed on top and a D-ring hook for your leash.
This dog life jacket guarantees excellent buoyancy and security.
- It’s waterproof and made with high-quality oxford materials and polyethylene foam
- Features adjustable nylon straps, quick-release buckles, and sticker fastening system placed around the belly and neck to enhance safety
- Has a strong handle and D-ring to attach a leash
- Comes in three different colors: rose, grey, and orange
- Has a second layer to enhance buoyancy and handle stability
When you think of buoyancy, visibility, safety, and comfort then Outward Hound Granby Splash dog vest is among the top ones. It’s made with neoprene material which is good quality and super durable.
The jacket is fitted with quick-release buckles that make it easy to take it off and on from the dog.
It comes in three colors: green, red, and orange, and all sizes right from XS to XL.
Features a soft foam placed on the neck strap to ensure the dog’s head floats on water easily even during accident situations. Well, with this at least your pug is still safe even when he/she gets tired while on the water.
The jacket has two handles attached at the top to pick your pug while in or outside the water.
- Has warming insulation to regulate temperature
- Comes in various colors
- You get to pick from different sizes from extra-large to extra-small
- Equipped with quick-release buckles to hold firm the dog and for easy taking on/off the vest
- Has an excellent neck floating foam to ensure the head remains afloat
Read Also: Are Pugs Easy to Train?
In a NutShell
A good dog life vest should offer some basic features which are buoyancy, visibility, safety, and comfort.
These features are adamant should you decide to take your pug with you for swimming and other water-related outdoor activities.
That been said, remember life jackets are not 100% safety guaranteed hence it’s your responsibility to keep an eye on your dog and never leave them alone.