The most common question I have seen on the internet on pugs is “Can pugs eat bananas? As a pet owner, we wonder which diet is best for a pug to eat. Is it meat, fruits, vegetable, or any other human food that they can use without getting them sick?
Pugs just like other dogs can eat bananas. It is a great source of Vitamin B6 & C, Potassium, Copper, Manganese, and fiber not to mention low sodium and cholesterol level. However, it has high sugar content. So, excessive use of bananas might pose some health hazards for your pugs but they can eat it within a limit and consuming with other diets.
In fact, most veterinarians recommended bananas for pugs as an alternative for your fatty and salty treats.
Read Also: Best Food for Pugs with Allergies
Can Pugs Eat Bananas
Is Banana Healthy Diet For Your Pug?
Bananas don’t have any toxic content in it but that doesn’t mean it’s not harmful to you pugs. Sometimes they have digestion issues when you excessively use bananas in their diets and they got a stomach blockage.
Their digestive system is different from that of a human so it’s important to understand their diet. I always recommend to talk to your veterinarian for a balanced use of the banana in their diets.
Let’s have a look at some of the pros and cons of feeding bananas to your Pugs.
Benefits Of Bananas For Your Pugs
- Bananas are rich with several essential sources including Potassium, Vitamin B6, and Vitamin C that most vets recommend for your Pug as a treat. These sources are best for their healthy growth.
- Bananas have low cholesterol and sodium that makes them a healthy choice as compare to other salty and fatty pug foods. The lack of these sources might help your pugs to avoid obesity issues.
- Bananas are a rich source of fiber that makes their digestion system better and help pugs to avoid gastrointestinal problems. This leads to good health for your pugs and helps them is digest other food sources.
- Bananas have magnesium that helps the pugs for the growth of bones and helps for the absorption of vitamins and proteins.
It’s a good and healthy choice if you are using it for the occasional treat.
How Bananas Are Bad For Your Pugs?
- Bananas have a high sugar level that makes this diet a problem for your pugs. Your pug may face Diabetes, obesity, and some gastrointestinal issues. So if you want to avoid all these health conditions with your pug then make sure to avoid excessive use of bananas.
- Bananas have a rich amount of fiber as well which is difficult to digest for some of your pugs. The use of too much fiber in one meal leads to constipation for your pugs.
- Avoid using banana peel in pug’s meals. Even if it’s not toxic but it might raise some digestion issues since it’s the hardest part of this fruit to digest.
There is a risk of allergy with almost all the foods that you are using in their pug’s meal. So if you see any Allergic signs, Breathing difficulties, Swelling, Coughing or any other symptoms then contact your vets and stop feeding them bananas.
How To Feed Pugs A Banana?
There are a lot of recipes online that you can use to feed bananas to your pugs. Let’s have a look at some of the famous bananas mix that I feed my pug Buddha and she really enjoys them.
1. Frozen Banana Treats
You can use these treats in the summer season. Just peels the banana and then cut and freeze them. You can also mash them if you pugs don’t like to eat the banana pieces. Your pugs will love this refreshing meal during summer.
2. Banana & Pug Food Mix
You can mash the bananas and mix them with any pug food that you have in your home. In this way, your pug has a new taste in their regular diet and they surely love it. But you must have a sugar free diet because bananas have already a great source of sugar that might cause obesity.
3. Banana & Sweet Potato Pug’s Biscuits
To make some Banana and Sweet Potato Biscuits you need only 5 ingredients. Mix some sweet potatoes, bananas, Biscuit Mix, organic whole wheat, and whole oats and you are good to go to bake biscuits. Sweet potatoes are a great source that helps them to digest foods.
Almost all of these ingredients are available at your home. You can avoid using whole wheat and oats if your dog is sensitive to grains. Or ask your vets before feeding them this mixture.
4. Homemade Carrot & Banana Mix Recipe
These homemade pug diets have healthy human food ingredients that are a healthy source of necessary fiber and vitamins. Just mesh carrots with bananas and make biscuits. You can also use it with other pugs food that you have in your home. This recipe will help your pugs to digest all food ingredients easily.
5. Frozen Pumpkin & Banana Treats
This banana mix treat is best for your pugs in the summer season when you are trying to cool your pugs. Pumpkin is a great fruit that helps your pugs to have the best urinary health and digestive system. It also comes in handy for pugs that are looking to shed their excessive body weights.
However, this recipe uses yogurt also so if your pugs have lactose intolerant or have any allergy then you must avoid using it.
6. Banana & Peanut Butter Biscuits
You can make these biscuits by adding banana and peanut butter with biscuits mix. Peanut butter is the best for getting the necessary protein for your Pugs. For this recipe, you need unsalted raw peanut butter. Mix them all and bake to get a sweet recipe for your pugs.
In A Nutshell
As a pet owner, you must take care and monitor what your pug is eating throughout the day. Pugs love to eat given an opportunity and they become obese if they eat bananas and other food excessively. So, can pugs eat bananas? Yes! But with moderation in their diet.
They must have regular exercise with moderation use of bananas to stay healthy. So don’t fear feeding them bananas just limit them and serve your pug a sweet and healthy diet!